Sunday, November 7, 2010

Intro


So.  You find yourself faced with a dilemma.  You are a college student/poor/on a budget.  We are in a recession, and you are working two part time jobs, and still can’t somehow make ends meet.  You are not alone.  In fact, you are probably part of a vast majority, and when you come face to face with someone else, you are looking at what is most likely your kindred soul.

What I mean is, we are all poor right now.  We’re all facing decisions, and often, those decisions mean zipping to McDonald’s because you just don’t have the time, the money, or the energy.

But you’re here, so that means maybe you’re tired of Taco Bell again and you just want one night out of seven to taste good, to be the product of your own hands.  So you want something you know will taste good, you want to impress someone, or you just want to try something different.

I’m not going to say that this blog is anything different.  It might be.  It might not be.  It really depends on how many food blogs or budget blogs that you’ve read, and chances are, if you’re like me… it’s a lot.  So why write this?  Why read this?  Well, maybe because you want just that one more resource, one more person who can you tell that you can do this.  That they’ve done it.  Because I have.

I have a husband, and no kids.  I have a few pets, and a few roommates.  I live on food stamp assistance right now, and should we have kids, I do predict we will probably end up on WIC for a little while.  I’m not a “welfare queen”.  I’m just like you, like everyone else around you.  I’m 20-something.  I’ve put college on hold because of money issues, and I have trouble finding jobs that pay a “living wage”, that mysterious goal of all working folks.  So we do what we can: we take odd jobs, we take seasonal jobs, temp jobs.  I’ve worked for the census bureau, he’s worked for his dad.

          So what I want to give you is the sense that there is no shame in living frugally.  It doesn’t have to mean Banquet TV dinners every night, or McDonald’s every day for lunch.  It doesn’t mean you have to live on food stamps, just that there is no shame in trying.  I want you to know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment